Back to Top -->

Sunday, February 28, 2016

My Thoughts on Imaginary Numbers

Before you get all freaked out, I'm not going to be teaching you math. I'll just be ranting about it. 

Why do imaginary numbers aka i exist? I am currently in Algebra II and I don't understand the point of them. Like, if you have the square root of a negative number, it doesn't have a solution. I get that. It's imaginary. It doesn't exist. So then what's the point of continuing to solve it? THE ANSWER DOESN'T EXIST. WHAT IS THE BENEFIT OF SOLVING AND GETTING SOME IMAGINARY SOLUTION? IT DOESN'T EXIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gah!!!!!!



What. Is. The. Point. Of. i. It's imaginary. It doesn't exist. Is there some real-world application to imaginary numbers or are they just annoying things we have to deal with? Cause we haven't used them in a real-world application kind of way. And when I ask my teacher, he just says they're important in calculus. Okay, then what is that calculus used for? I don't understand how imaginary numbers can have a real purpose in the world when they don't exist. They. Aren't. Real. I just don't get it. 

It's not that I don't get how to solve imaginary solutions, it's just that I don't get why i exists in the first place. And if there is some reason they do exist, then I just haven't learned it yet. But for now, math sucks. 
Think of the kittens, think of the kittens.

I feel better now.

From my corner to yours,

Jennifer Whiskers

Also, quick side note: I hate logs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always interested in other people's opinions, so leave your comments below! I try really hard to reply to every comment left for me so don't be afraid to let your thoughts run wild!

I just ask that you are kind and respectful and refrain from using harsh and cruel language. If you don't have something nice to say, you aren't thinking hard enough.

Thanks!
Jennifer Whyskers