Back to Top -->

Sunday, April 5, 2015

A Puzzling Question

First of all, I just want to wish you all a Happy Easter! I hope the Easter bunny was good to you and got you lots of chocolate eggs and jellybeans.

In science class the other day, we were learning about motion. The scientific way of how to determine if someone or something is in motion is by comparing the object to a reference point. If the distance between the object and the reference point changes, then you know that the object is in motion. My teacher also said that a good reference point is a stationary object, like a building or a tree. Which makes sense if you think about it. To determine if something is in motion, you would want to compare the object to something that isn't moving.

That got me thinking. We are all on Earth, right? (To those of my readers on Mars or any other planet, bear with me for a second) We all know that the Earth rotates on its axis. We also know that the Earth revolves around the sun. We don't feel this motion because we compare ourselves to objects that are moving with us. Think about it. If you are sitting next to someone while riding in a car, you aren't moving compared to that person. You only realize you are moving when you look out the window and see stationary reference points. So, since we compare ourselves to objects that are moving at the same velocity (speed and direction, for those of you who aren't in a physics class), our brains don't think we are moving.

That also got me thinking. If the Earth is moving, and everything on Earth is moving with it, is anything on Earth actually stationary?

I haven't had the opportunity to ask my science teacher about this, but I did ask my dad. He pretty much shrugged his shoulders and told me to ask my science teacher.

In my opinion, nothing is stationary according to its definition because technically, everything is in motion. However, I think that the definition of stationary needs to be changed to not include the Earth's movement.

I want to know what you think. Is anything on Earth actually stationary? Or should we just ignore the Earth's movement in whether or not we determine if an object is stationary? I am open for all ideas since this really does not have one correct answer. Leave your opinion in the comments and I will reply.

From my puzzled corner to yours,
Jennifer Whyskers

2 comments:

I am always interested in other people's opinions, so leave your comments below! I try really hard to reply to every comment left for me so don't be afraid to let your thoughts run wild!

I just ask that you are kind and respectful and refrain from using harsh and cruel language. If you don't have something nice to say, you aren't thinking hard enough.

Thanks!
Jennifer Whyskers