Back to Top -->

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

I'm Back!

I am a terrible, horrible person, because I've been home for almost a week now, and I still haven't posted anything. I'm so sorry! *crawls into corner and sobs*

Hello everyone!

I'm happy to say I made it back safely from my trip to D.C., and it was AMAZING! I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was so much fun! I got to see several different monuments, museums, and government buildings (My favorite was probably the Franklin Delano Roosevelt memorial. Even though it rained while I was there.)

I honestly don't know how to describe my trip, so I'm just going to list all the places I went. Maybe with pictures. If I'm not too lazy. Hehe. And they may not be in the right order. I'm just going to list the ones I remember.


  • Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial. This was by far my favorite. It had four "rooms" that represented his four terms as president of the United States. It was so beautiful and serene.

  • Arlington National Cemetery. I'm pretty sure there was a funeral going on somewhere in the cemetery because I kept hearing gun shots.
  • The White House. Duh. (We only saw the outside. We couldn't go in it.)
  • The Capital Building. I actually took a tour inside and got a glimpse of the speaker of the house, John Boehner. Just a teeny tiny glimpse. But still cool. Also, the dome was under construction, so we couldn't see the entire thing. Bummer.
Can you find George Washington in the picture? Look hard! If you find it, put in the comments where he is.

  • The Vietnam Memorial. My uncle who Taylor Swift reminds me of was in the Vietnam war. He didn't die in the war though.
The idea for the memorial was the result of a contest. The winner designed the wall. Originally, the Vietnam veterans hated the memorial design because it was black while the other monuments were white. The veterans thought it would be perceived that the Vietnam war was a negative thing. However, when it was built, they realized that you can see your reflection in the wall, representing those people's families who sacrificed for the war too.

  • The Korean War Memorial
There are 19 statues, which are reflected in the black wall to make 38 soldiers in total. This represents the 38th parallel, or the line that divides North and South Korea.

  • WWII Memorial. This was probably my second-favorite memorial, mostly because of what happened during WWII. My tour guide kept going on about how this was one of the greatest times in American history, whereas I can't consider WWII to be a good time in anyone's history because of what happened in Germany and the Holocaust. 

  • Martin Luther King Memorial.
  • Smithsonian Natural History Museum. The Hope Diamond is both gorgeous and cursed.

  • Smithsonian American History Museum. I got to see Dorothy's ruby slippers! I actually had a pair when I was younger, but they got glitter everywhere so I donated them.

  • Lincoln Memorial. Good old Abraham Lincoln. What a great president. Also in that memorial is a marker of where Martin Luther King gave his "I Had a Dream" speech.

  • Jefferson Memorial
There is probably more, but I'm too lazy to actually put my brain to use. It continues to sit on my dresser as I refuse to bring it to school with me. 

The other thing I learned while in our nation's capital is that I'm a pizza snob. But I already knew that. And there are no good memes for pizza snobs. Get on that internet.

From my corner of the world to yours,
Jennifer Whyskers



No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always interested in other people's opinions, so leave your comments below! I try really hard to reply to every comment left for me so don't be afraid to let your thoughts run wild!

I just ask that you are kind and respectful and refrain from using harsh and cruel language. If you don't have something nice to say, you aren't thinking hard enough.

Thanks!
Jennifer Whyskers